The Primitive Methodists of Little Hulton opened their original school buildings on November 5th 1877. The building stood in the area occupied by The Shamrock Inn. This school lasted for only about 10 years as the need to educate children full time up to the age of 10 as a result of the 1880 Education Act put excessive stresses on both school and staff. A second Walkden Primitive Methodist school was built in 1888 and it is probably this school that Freeman designed. It later became St Andrew’s West in 1964.
Thanks to Kate Cowpe for help in identifying the building