The school was built in 1675. Freeman rebuilt the entrance in 1888 and installed wood panelling and new windows in 1891. There are rainwater heads dated 1891. He may also have designed the school gymnasium, now a pair of cottages, opposite the school.
Pevsner states: “Founded in 1585 by Archbishop Sandys and rebuilt in 1675 with its bold lintel moulding and curly pediment. The historicist windows were made in 1891 to replace sashes. Wordsworth attended the school form 1779 to 1787.”