The foundation stone was laid on 3 August, 1878. The budget was only £1000. Some key features of the design have been lost.
William Hargreaves was born in 1822 and worked at Soho iron works in Bolton where he soon became a partner. He also had interests in collieries as well as owning several properties. He became a magistrate and councillor and was involved in many public projects such as libraries and Bolton infirmary.
RIBA biographical file
Clegg, Annals of Bolton, 1880
Molyneux, W E; Hart Common church and school, a short history, c.1978
Westhoughton parish magazine, April 1878 (Bolton archives)