The footprint of the school, to which Freeman made alterations, is still clearly visible.The plans for the original school and chapel were drawn up by a Mr. Lomax, engineer and surveyor to the district, and work began in July 1868. The cornerstone of the chapel was laid March 1869 and the Sunday school was opened on the first Sunday morning in April 1869.
A 1919 publication about the school states: “The school has been altered and enlarged three times. When the lecture hall was built the men’s class was transferred to the lecture hall.” It is not known when Freeman worked on the building.
Bolton archives; B.906.2858 NIG Francis Street Congregational church and Sunday school -