Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect

Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Schools - new Bolton Wesleyan school

Bolton Wesleyan schools

Built 1869; demolished

The Bolton Evening News of 9 August 1869 described the opening of the school in Silverwell Lane, Bolton:

“On Saturday evening, the new school in connection with Wesley Chapel, Bolton, was opened by public prayer meeting. …. The style of the building is Gothic, and the materials employed in its erection are brick, with strings and other dressings in stone and blue brick, the brickwork below the base being also faced with blue brick. The schoolroom is 65 feet by 45 feet, internally, and has twelve class-rooms (of which four are in the gallery at the east end), in addition to a library and a room for the superintendent. The roof is open up to the collar beams, the total height being 36 feet, and the roof principals are stained and varnished. The space in the roof above the ceiling is formed into a ventilating chamber, and ventilating panels filled in with ornamental perforated boarding are placed between the principals. The class-rooms are ventilated by means of perforations in the woodwork over the doors. The schoolroom lighted by windows on the sides, and a five-light stone window, with tracery in the head, at the west end. This has been filled in with stained glass from the establishment of Messrs. Jones and Holden, of Crossley Street, London-road, Manchester, at a cost of £80 or £90, which has been defrayed by Mrs. Thomas Walker and Mrs. Charles Heaton. The fittings internally are of pine varnished. The schoolroom is lighted by six handsome coronas, and the classrooms have gas pendants similar in character. In the basement a large stove cellar and heating chamber have been provided. The principal entrances are in front, which faces Silverwell-lane, and it is intended that the school shall be surrounded by low wall, with stone coping and ornamental iron railing and entrance gates. The cost of the building has been about £2,000. The contractor is Mr. James Robinson, junior, of Hyde, and the architects are Messrs Cunliffe and Freeman, of this town.”


The Building News of 11 September 1868

Bolton Evening News of 9 August 1869