Richard Knill Freeman
Built 1896-97; listed grade II; converted to 35 flats
Freeman won this commission in competition in 1894, assessed by “Mr Robson, the architect for the Education department” (presumably E R Robson). It accommodated 1080 pupils.
In 1999 it was converted to flats, and the bell tower was replaced with a GRP replica.
Pevsner describes the “big red school” as “completely symmetrical except for the entrance which dodges to one side in an upsetting way to avoid the central oriel.”
Image: Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Building News 70, 17 April 1896
Pevsner; Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, 2004