Built 1879; listed Grade II; in use as library and museum
This was opened on 28 June, 1879 after Freeman won a competition with fifty entrants in 1876 . The building has been twice extended (in 1915 and 1963) and the Franco-Flemish central tower has been altered. There is a very detailed description of the building in the British Architect of 11 July, 1879.
The Builder of 17 July, 1897, reviewing various buildings in Derby described it as “one of the characteristic designs of Mr R Knill Freeman and though an example of now somewhat unfashionable Gothic, is a fine building.”