The Manchester Guardian reported in October 1890 the opening of the Church of England Waifs and Strays society Diocesan branch in the former Deaconess House. “It is a handsome and substantial building adjoining the park. The rooms at present are small, the interior therefore will have to be rearranged, and rooms thrown together by removal of some internal walls, in order to formdining and workrooms, and dormitories…Accommodation will be provided for 30 boys.”
Although the description refers only to internal alterations, the exterior of the building does look like Freeman’s work.
It was closed in 1913 when the home moved to Cambridge House, Castlemere Street.