The Alhambra, designed by Freeman with Robins, was opened in 1890 in Lambton Street. According to a contemporary report, it was a large red brick building and “one of the safest, prettiest, most comfortable and luxurious theatres in the three Kingdoms”. The Northern Daily Mail of 12 August 1890 stated that over 2000 people attended the opening night and that it was “a spacious and beautiful auditorium”. It cost £7800. When the Grand Hotel was built in 1899, the Alhambra was renamed The Grand, and later became the Hippodrome. It was demolished in 1975.
Hartlepool Museum Service; Bricks and Mortar; A celebration of Architecture in Hartlepool 1834-1984 Earl, John and Sell, Mike; The Guide to British Theatres 1750-1950; 2000; p.245