The drawings for this public house are dated 1898 and the datestone above the entrance is 1901. It is a calendar building, with four floors (one for each season), seven rooms per floor (days of the week), twelve cellars (months), twenty-eight rooms (days in month), fifty-two doors (weeks) and 365 panes of glass.
The old photograph shows that the half-timbering of the gables has unfortunately been lost but there have been few other significant external changes.
The original design shows much more half-timbering than the final building, possibly echoing the old house nearby called Doffcockers.
Frank Freeman later made some alterations to the building.