The original house was built around 1830; Freeman carried out alterations for James Ormrod, associated with Hardcastle’s Bank. The lodge was converted to a hotel in 1899 and was subdivided into eight flats after 1994.
Left: Halliwell Lodge; date unknown
(Pevsner states that the 2 rear ranges are possibly a slightly later phase and have simpler detailing with various axial stacks, some octagonal.)
Left: This is the gatehouse for Halliwell Lodge, now a church at the corner of Chorley New Road and Beverley Road. It features a relieving arch, common in Freeman’s designs.
Thanks to Halliwell local history society for the images.
Pevsner; Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, 2004