Listed grade II; in use as a supported living community
Crooke Hall has medieval origins. The present house was built in c. 1806. According to Kenneth Hodkinson’s book, Crooke Hall was occupied by Theodore J Hare from 1869 to 1889 and Carlton Cross (1859-1930), son of John Kynaston Cross MP, from 1894. It was for Cross that Freeman made alterations. Cross was a director of Horrockses in Bolton but left Lancashire in 1905 and let Crooke Hall to his cousin James Cross.
It became known as Lisieux Hall in 1931.
Left: The side of the original hall is on the left; the new work, presumably Freeman’s, begins with the two-storey bay where the cornice ends. This addition is not mentioned in Pevsner.
Hodkinson, Kenneth: Whittle and Clayton-le-Woods: A pictorial record of bygone days, 1991