Knill Freeman did “alterations for Mr R Dykes Marshall” probably in about 1883; the terrace in front of the house is dated 1883. The house was originally built in the 1840s, possibly by Salvin, for John Marshall, MP for Leeds. (Salvin designed St John Evangelist in 1836-8 also for John Marshall). R Dykes Marshall was his son. The extent of the alterations is not known, although the list description for the balustrading describes it as late nineteenth century which would fit. The house has had various uses: originally a manor house, it became a hotel in the 1920s, a training centre for soldiers in the second world war and is currently a Catholic residential youth centre.
RIBA biographical file
Robinson, John Martin; A guide to the country houses of the north west, 1991