This building was opposite the site of St Augustine’s vicarage and is noted in Freeman’s works as “New house Tonge Moor Bolton for Miss Hardcastle”. On the 1889 map it is shown as “The Grange”, but directories from 1907 list “Miss Caroline Hardcastle, Brierwood, Ainsworth-lane”. Freeman designed many of the buildings around St Augustine’s: the church, vicarage, school and Brierwood and
probably Church house and the Mission house. Miss Hardcastle, who donated a large sum for the building of the church, gave the house to the parish of St. Augustine’s for the use of the Anglican Religious Sisters, when it was called St. Augustine’s House. Sisters of different orders lived there for over 60 years until 1969. Brierwood was demolished for the building of a Labour club.
RIBA biographical file
Brierley, Ron; St Augustine’s: a centenary portrait