Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - new St Peter, Farnworth

St Peter, Farnworth

Built 1885; demolished 2010

The British Architect reported in July 1882:

“The church, about to be erected at Farnworth, near Bolton, has been specially designed, with a view to the particular requirements of a thickly populated manufacturing district. It has, therefore, been thought desirable to adopt a severe treatment throughout, and to depend upon proportion, rather than detail, for effect. The interior is planned with narrow side aisles, 3 feet 6 inches wide, carried through the buttresses which project internally into the church, and are arcaded just below the roof. These aisles are carried the full length of the building, including the chancel, for the use of communicants and choir. The chancel will be of the same width and height as the nave, and be separated from it and the aisles by lofty and open screens. The choir and clergy vestries will be formed under the chancel, which will be kept at the requisite height, to allow of this arrangement. The organ will be placed in a loft at the north side of chancel. At the west end a gallery for the scholars, with separate entrance, is provided, with brick and stone arches, and gallery front.

A small bellcote is placed on the north side over the organ loft. The building will be brick both internally and externally, with moulded bricks and terra-cotta strings, &c., stone being sparingly used where requisite. The general arrangement of the design and the position of the vestries, &c., have been adopted to ensure thorough economy without destroying the ecclesiastical character of the building. The total length of the church is 122 feet 6 inches ; breadth between arcade, 30 feet. The height internally being 46 feet ; approximate estimate, £3,500. It will provide accommodation for 500 persons, exclusive of west gallery and choir, and together with the adjoining schools, recently erected, is from the designs of Mr R Knill Freeman FRIBA, Bolton-le-Moors. The perspective view we illustrate is in the present Royal Academy Exhibition.”  

Sources

The British Architect; July 7, 1882


Link

Video of demolition of church


Left: The church with Freeman’s school to the right. The school was built first.