Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - alterations St Matthew, Little Lever

St Matthew, Little Lever

Listed Grade II; in use as church

St Matthew’s was built by Paley of Paley and Austin in 1865. Freeman’s RIBA file lists “Slade memorial, oak chancel screen, tablet, choir stalls and Church House”.

The Building News of 7 December 1894 reported: “After complete renovation, St. Matthew’s Church, Little Lever, Lancs, has been further embellished by the addition of a chancel screen in oak, and oak communion rails, both elaborately carved by Messrs Earp and Hobbs, of London and Manchester, who have also erected a mural monument on the north wall of the chancel to the memory of the late vicar. The work has been carried out from designs, and under the supervision of, Mr R Knill Freeman, FRIBA, and surveyor to the Diocese.”  

 

Source

The Building News of 7 December 1894, p802

RIBA biographical file


Links

St Matthew’s Little Lever


Above: The Slade memorial


Left: the controversial decoration of the chancel