The church by George Gilbert Scott was consecrated in July 1845. In the early 1880s the parishioners required a larger chancel and in 1884 a faculty was obtained for this and other works. Freeman’s work included erection of a choir aisle, reredos, organ chamber and the transfer of the Ellesmere stalls from the chancel to the chapel. The new choir stalls, built by Earp and Hobbs of London and Manchester, were exhibited at the Building Trades exhibition in Manchester.
The Manchester Guardian; Jul 26, 1883
H T Milliken; Changing Scene; 2007
Left: The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser, 29 May 1884