Cunliffe and Freeman designed the original church which was begun in 1868 and erected in 1871. Freeman later added a tower, side chapels and reredos. The tower was completed in 1902. The adjoining vicarage was designed by one of Freeman’s pupils, Marshall Robinson.
The Manchester Guardian of 20 July 1868 reported:
“The foundation stone of a new church for the parish of St Mark, Bolton, was laid on Saturday by the Earl of Bradford. The church will be a Gothic erection, consisting of nave, aisles, transept and chancel aisles. The chancel will be apsidal in form and lighted by five lancet windows. The choir vestry and vestry for the clergy will be situated behind the organ chamber on the south side of the chancel. The principal entrance to the church will be by a porch on the south-west, and to the left of this, underneath the tower will be situated the baptistery, raised three steps above the level of the aisles, and lighted by six small lancet windows. The tower will be surmounted by a spire 150 feet high. The church is designed to accommodate 900 worshippers. Its estimated cost is £5,000. ... The sittings are all to be free and unappropriated. Messrs Cunliffe and Freeman, of Bolton, are the architects, and Messrs Warburton Brothers, of Harpurhey, are the contractors. 
Manchester Guardian; 20 July 1868 page 3 (Thanks to Neil Darlington)