The church is of yellow sandstone with red sandstone dressings and was completed in 1895. It replaced an earlier church adjoining the site which was built in 1845. The design was chosen by the church’s building committee in 1893 although there does not seem to have been a formal competition.
Building News 65; 29 December 1893, p.879
Building news 72; June 11, 1897 p.846
A lych gate was added in 1897 “as a memorial to the late Mr C R Jacson. It was designed by Mr R Knill Freeman FRIBA of Bolton, and was carried out by Messrs Hatch and Sons, of Lancaster. At the same time the Jacson Memorial Organ, with two case fronts of wainscot oak, also designed by Mr Freeman, was dedicated.”