The church was designed by Philip Hardwick of London and consecrated in 1826. In 1867 the boundary walls were built to a design by Cunliffe and Freeman and in 1873 they carried out extensive repairs and additions to the church. This included:
Extension of chancel to 33ft by 23ft.
Replacement of ground floor pews with pitch-pine benches with ornamental panelled bench ends.
Removal of staircases in the west end which were blocking windows and the space added to the interior. Building of porches with stone staircases to the gallery on each side of the door at the West end.
Lowering of gallery front was and the slope of the gallery was made to correspond with the other parts. The organ was moved to the North Chancel aisle and the wall which stood behind it was opened out and filled with an ornamental pitch-pine screen, with upper panels glazed, and connecting with the belfry.
The stonework in the windows was replaced and heads filled with geometrical tracery. New Cathedral Glass of two tints was installed having the eagle emblem of St. John, the fleur-de-lis and the sacred monogram alternately, each light being surrounded by a margin of red and blue glass.
Farnworth and Kearsley Parish Church; The Church of St John the Evangelist 1826-1899 (no date)