Plans for the church were drawn up by Frank Palmer of Horwich in 1897 and deposited with the local council, but following a disagreement with building committee, Knill Freeman was appointed.
The Building News in 1902 reported: “St Catherine’s Church, Horwich, was opened on Ascension Day. The new church as completed consists of lofty nave, side aisles, vestries and temporary chancel, leaving side chapel, chancel, and east end to be added at some future time. The present part provides about 600 sittings. In the basement a large parish-room is provided, also lavatories, &c. Externally the building is of local brick, with red Ruabon terracotta dressings and North-country green slates, with red ridge. The heating is by hot water. The contractors for the whole of the works are Messrs Moore Bros, of Rawtenstall. The work has been carried out from the designs, and under the supervision of Mr R Knill Freeman of Bolton and Manchester.”