Cunliffe and Freeman designed the church in the late 1860s and it was consecrated on St Bartholomew’s day in August 1870. It cost over £7000, a large sum for a church. The church needed restoration in 1887 when dry rot had appeared under the chancel floor. In view of this, it was perhaps surprising that in 1895-6 Freeman was chosen to build new vestries. Freeman also designed the reredos and lychgate (1902). Frank Freeman later designed a war memorial incorporated into the reredos.
The body of the church was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1990 and the tower repaired in 1991.
Walmsley, Robert; A short history of St Bartholomew’s church Westhoughton; 1995
Above: Freeman’s plans for the vestry
Below: Freeman’s lych gate (1902)
Above: Cunliffe and Freeman’s tower with the new church