According to Pevsner, “a church of considerable dignity, although towerless, thanks to a basement floor which gives it extra height” with a “tall, spatially resourceful interior”.
The original design was exhibited at the Royal Academy, but the scheme was built without the proposed tower. Freeman also designed the nearby school, vicarage and Brierwood.
The Building News described it in 1892: “This church, which has recently been erected, is situated in a thickly-populated township on the outskirts of Bolton-le-Moors, and will accommodate about 600 people. It has been built from the designs of, and under the supervision of. Mt R Knill Freeman, FRIBA, of Bolton and Manchester, the materials employed being Yorkshire stone parpoints, with red Rainhill stone dressings, the internal dressings also being in red Rainhill stone. The chancel is lofty, of good proportion, and well elevated, the vestries &c being placed underneath, while the principal entrance has been placed at the north-west end. An organ-loft is provided over the north chancel aisle; the nave is wide, and the aisles, separated from it by arcades, are used as passages only. The style is Late Decorated, and the general contractors for the works were Messrs. Woods and Son of Bootle, Liverpool.”
Building News 63; 5 August 1892 p.175
Pevsner; Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, 2004