Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - new St Andrew, Moscow

St Andrew, Moscow

Built 1884; in use as a church

It is not known why Freeman was chosen to design this church. He did also build a house in Moscow, but the client is not known and so no connection can be shown.

The church has had various uses over the years: a hostel, warehouse, dormitory and a recording studio. It was reopened as a church in 1991.

Source

The British Architect, October 27, 1882


Links

The history of the church


The British Architect, October 27, 1882

THE BRITISH CHAPEL, MOSCOW

This building, now in course of erection, is intended for the use of the British residents. It stands in a good position, near the Petrorka, on the site of the old chapel (recently pulled down) which was built in connection with the British factory, and under the direction of the Bishop of London, in the time of Queen Elizabeth, by the permission of the Emperor. The ground plan consists of a nave 41 feet 6 inches wide with an apsidal chancel at the east end, and a large cloakroom at the west, separated from the nave by a wall, with ornamental traceried screens filled with plate glass. The porch is formed in the tower at the north-west angle. The organ and choir are placed at the west end, in a gallery formed over the cloakroom. In the building attached to the church on the south side a caretaker’s house is provided in the basement. On the ground floor are vestry and large committee-room, with a library carried over the whole.

The lower stories of the tower, which are fire-proof, are specially arranged as store and muniment rooms for the use of the British residents, the upper floors being prepared as belfry and ringing loft. The basement under the east end is formed into a mortuary. Pillars being objected to, the roof is in one span, with inner boarded ceiling, coved an vaulted over the windows. The central part of the roof is wagon shaped, the principals being wrought and filled in with tracery. This treatment is carried through into the apse, without any chancel arch. The walls are of thin bricks, with stone tracery and dressings. The roofs will be covered with sheet iron, painted in accordance with local custom.

The internal fittings will be of oak, and the floors of parquetry of Russian manufacture. The nature of the climate necessitates special arrangements for exclusion of cold, by additional screens, &c. :all windows will be fitted with inner oak sashes corresponding with the outer tracery, and so arranged as to be removed in summer. The space between the roof and ceiling will be filled with earth, in order to equalise the temperature. The accommodation provided is for 300 persons, and the cost approximately estimated at from £8,000 to £10,000. R Knill Freeman, FRIBA, of Bolton-le-Moors, is the architect ; the work, with the exception of the more artistic portions, being executed by local tradesmen.