Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - new Rivington Grammar school chapel

Rivington Grammar school chapel

Built 1891-92; unlisted; in use as school chapel

The Building News reported: “A chapel is being added to the Grammar school at the foot of the Pike of Rivington as a memorial and the foundation stone was laid last week. The site adjoins the school-room on the north-west. The plans, as designed by Mr R K Freeman, FRIBA, of Bolton, shows a building of Gothic character. The chapel, the floor of which is raised some 5ft above the entrance, will be approached by a flight of steps and measures 46ft by 22ft 6ins, the floor of the chancel end being slightly raised. On the right of the chancel is placed a small organ-chamber. The benches, which will be of oak, will run along either side and across one end. The roof is to be carved and boarded, and divided into panels by moulded ribs, whilst a roof principal, with carved beams, will separate the chancel from the nave. The east and west windows are large, and filled with tracery. The roof will be covered with slate, and the floors fire-proof and finished in wood blocks, the floor of the chancel being covered with tiling. The materials will be of local stone, similar to those used in the school. The contract for the work has been let to Messrs. Moore Bros of Rawtenstall.”


Source

Building News 61, 14 Aug 1891, p.239



Left: view of Rivington and Blackrod school with the chapel at the left