Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - new St Mary Magdalen, Ribbleton, Preston

Building News 57, 26 July 1889, p.129


RIBBLETON, PRESTON – The Church of St Mary Magdalene at Ribbleton was consecrated on Monday by the Bishop of Manchester. It is being erected at the corner of the High-road and Farington Hall-road and will be cruciform in plan when completed. At present the nave, transepts and the lower part of the western tower only have been built, leaving the chancel and vestry for future extension. The walls are built externally of Yorkshire stone parpoints, with red Rainhill stone for all window and door dressings, copings, weatherings, &c, this latter stone being also used for all the internal windows, piers, arches &c and for facing the walls up to the level of the window-sills, the remaining plain wall space being plastered. The roofs are covered with Westmorland green slates, and finished internally with curved, boarded ceiling, divided into panels by moulded ribs. The aisles are paved with Yorkshire grey flagging, and the windows fitted with glazing. The internal arches are of stone deeply moulded, the chancel arch springing from moulded shafts, with carved capitals. The nave is lighted by four two-light windows on each side, the tracery in the heads being varied throughout. The transepts have a large circular wheel window of varied design in each gable, and the tower, which opens into the church with a lofty and deeply-moulded arch, is lighted by a large four-light traceried window at the west end. The main entrance to the church is by a large doorway on the south side of the tower, the tower being arranged to serve as a porch and baptistery. The church, when completed, will accommodate about 250 people. The style of the church is Decorated Gothic. Mr R. Knill Freeman, of Bolton and Manchester, is the architect, and Messrs Wood and Sons, of Bootle, Liverpool, were the contractors.