Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - new Holy Trinity, Blackpool

Holy Trinity, Blackpool

Built 1888 and 1894-5; listed Grade II; in use as church

According to Pevsner, this is Knill Freeman’s “chef d’oeuvre”. He says: “it replaced a church of 1832. Large, of yellow sandstone with red sandstone dressings, NW tower with triplets of two-light bell openings. Dec. to Perp features. High nave, transepts, W gallery. The narrow aisles are crossed by bridges on arches and have in addition arches high up continued as transverse pointed tunnel vaults towards the windows. The transepts occupy three bays of the nave arcades but are externally of two gabled bays, with enormous windows. Two-bay chancel with a timber vault and very narrow inner aisles framing tiny eye-level E lancets. The sides differ, organ chamber N; chapel S. The effect is visually highly complex. There are more complications at the W end, where the porch and gallery stair bite into the nave, N and the S arcade has a low half-arch to the W, where a little alcove is formed. Freeman was evidently influenced by Austin & Paley. If there is a criticism it must be of over-complication; however, the generous scale carries it off.”


Sources

The Builder, 21 August 1886

Building News 65, 22 December, 1893 p.481

Pevsner; Lancashire: North, 2009




Links

Above: The interior


Below: The first phase of the church to be built (the transepts) adjacent to the old church about to be demolished

Left: Freeman’s design for completion which does not show the tower