Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect

Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Buildings Buildings by type Churches - new Christ Church, Heaton, Bolton

Christ Church, Heaton, Bolton

Built 1896; listed Grade II; in use as church

Pevsner considered this “a nice, relaxed composition, with a turret with wooden top attached to the two-storey organ chamber/vestry.”

The list description states that the original red-tiled roof was replaced with a slate roof in 1945.


Building News 70, 19 June 1896, p.893 + plate

Pevsner; Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, 2004


Christ church, Heaton

In June 1896, the Building news reported:


The above new church, which has been carried out from the designs and under the supervision of Mr R Knill-Freeman, FRIBA, of Bolton and Manchester, is rapidly approaching completion, and will shortly be consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Manchester. The style of architecture adopted is the Decorated, the plan embracing nave, north and south transepts, and aisles, chancel, clergy and choir vestries, and organ chamber on the south side of the chancel, space being left on the north side for a chapel or chancel aisle when required. The length of the new edifice internally is 101ft – 69 ft being given to the nave and 32ft to the chancel. The width across the transepts is 59ft, and across the aisles, 44ft, the nave and chancel being 21ft wide. A porch gives entrance on the south side and there is a door on the north side. The vestries are provided with a separate entrance, that for the clergy being approached by a circular staircase which is finished as a bell-turret, and surmounted by an ornamental weather vane. Accommodation is provided for 450 worshippers. Externally the church has been built of flat-faced Yorkshire parpoints relieved by red Rainhill stone dressings to the windows, doorways, &c, the roofs being covered with strawberry coloured tiles. Internally, the arcading and other stonework has been executed in Corsham Down, Bath stone, the walls generally being plastered, and the woodwork pitch-pine throughout, unvarnished. A handsome reredos in oak is also to be erected in the church. The amount of the contract is about £4000.”

Freeman’s obituary in The Builder specifically refers to the “organ chamber, screens and traceried canopy of the ornamental screens in the west end” which it states were recently completed.

In 1907, Frank Freeman designed the Dobson memorial.