The Manchester Guardian of June 21, 1889 reported that a new chapel of ease had been erected in Ruabon by James Ormrod of Halliwell Lodge, Bolton and Pen-y-Lan Hall, Ruabon.
Pevsner describes it: “Built at the expense of James Ormrod in memory of his wife, and originally a private chapel. 1889 by R. Knill Freeman of Bolton. Polygonal apse and a bellcote over the chancel arch. A costly building, of red sandstone ahslar throughout, and enriched with elaborate oak FURNISHINGS, STAINED GLASS in the apse and PAINTED DECORATION on the chancel roof. The N porch is vaulted. It is just the sort of thing which would have been done superbly well by Paley and Austin, whom Ormrod employed for the church at Scorton, built to commemorate his brother. As it is, it fails to hang together, and great variety of window design (mostly early Dec and tending to straight-headed Perp in the chancel) makes for restlessness. School of 1885 with Ormrod’s initials.”
The dark red sandstone was quarried from Ormrod’s estate and was a material that Freeman used in many of his churches.
The Manchester Guardian (1828-1900); Jun 21, 1889
Hubbard, Edward; Clwyd: Denbighshire and Flintshire (Pevsner Architectural Guides) 1986