Freeman won this in competition in 1878 (on the same day as he won the competition for Bolton infirmary). The British Architect reported that Freeman submitted three designs; “one of these we saw at Nottingham a while ago”
There were originally three chapels: non-conformist, Church of England and Roman Catholic. Only the Church of England chapel remains. This was last used in about 1990 and was demolished in 2017 by its owner, Bolton Council on the grounds that it was “Un-used”.Freeman designed the grounds with Alfred Caldwell of Knutsford.
The west lodge according to the Bolton Evening News of 31 August 1989 was built around 1897. It was substantially extended in 1980.
The east lodge, originally the registrar’s house (1897), has recently been used for offices and in 2015 a planning application was submitted to convert it to a house. It has lost many of its original features.
Above: Freeman drawing possibly of West Lodge
The Architect, 5 February, 1881
Clegg, James; Annals of Bolton, 1888
Bolton Evening News, 31 August 1989
East Lodge in 2012 (above) and the original building (below); detail of downpipe