Freeman’s practice was a large one in terms of the number of buildings completed and competitions entered. He clearly employed many pupils and assistants and some of them are listed on this page.
Freeman also formed a number of partnerships in different parts of the country which appear to have been mainly in order to enter competitions. His initial partnership was with the Bolton architect George Cunliffe from 1865-1871. After this he ran his own practice but did form partnerships in other parts of the country. These included Freeman and Naylor (Derby) and Freeman and Robins (Newcastle).
The practice became Knill Freeman & Son (Architects) and this name was retained after Knill Freeman’s death in 1904 when Frank R Freeman continued the practice until his own death in 1934. Frank Freeman worked on some of the same buildings as his father and buildings from 1904–1910 attributed in different places to both the father and the son.
Assistants, pupils and partners so far traced are: