Richard Knill Freeman

Bolton architect






Home Life Buildings Related architects Features Contact
search this site the web
search engine by freefind
Related architects Marshall Robinson

Marshall Robinson (1853-1923)

Robinson was articled to Cunliffe and Freeman from 1868 to 1874. He then became a first class draughtsman with the Royal Engineers department in Manchester and York from 1874-79 and then was chief draughtsman in the Lichfield division from 1879 to 1880. He later practiced at 24 Nelson Square.

He was made an associate of the RIBA in June 1893, proposed by Freeman, Edward Salomons and J Holden.

His works include:

Bolton fever hospital, Rumworth (1881)

St Mark’s vicarage, Bolton (1885)

Masonic Hall, Institute St, Bolton (1886)

Drill hall, Silverwell Street, Bolton (1887)

Alterations to house, Chorley New Road (1888)

Additions to Infirmary, Chorley Street (Robinson and Morris) (1888)

Alterations to Lower Nags Head, Bolton (Robinson and Morris) (1888)

Extension to Doffcockers, Bolton (1889)

Alterations to Swan Hotel, Bolton (Robinson and Morris) (1890)

Additions to St Marie’s school, Bridge Street, Bolton (1893)

Joiners Arms, Deansgate, Bolton (1893)

Cattle Market Inn, Bolton (1893)

Bridge Hotel, Horwich (1893)

New Victoria Hotel, Horwich (1894)

Beehive Hotel, Horwich (1894)

Additions to Peel Hotel, Bolton (1894)

Additions to Astley Bridge Conservative Club, Bolton (1893)

Additions to Duke of Clarence, Clarence Street, Bolton (1894)

Additions to brewery, Deane Road, Bolton (1895)

Additions to premises, Bridgeman Place, Bolton (1895)

Alterations to premises, Palace St, Bolton (1895)

Rebuilding of Station Hotel, Trinity St, Bolton (1897)

Rebuilding of Queens Arms, Deansgate, Bolton (1898)

Extension to tannery, St Helena Road, Bolton (1898)

Addition to schools, off Bridge St, Bolton (1898)

Warehouse, Clive St, Bolton (1899)

Tram shed, Daubhill, Bolton (1899)

Extension to Doffcockers, Bolton (1899)

Extension to drill hall, Bolton (1899)

New Conservative Club, Egerton (1899)

New mill for North End Spinning Company, Bolton (1901)

Rebuilding Railway Hotel, St Helens Road, Bolton (1900)

New streets and levels, off Tudor Avenue, Bolton (1901)

Rebuilding Duke of Clarence, Bath Street, Bolton (1901)

Rebuilding Nine House Tavern, Nine House Lane, Bolton (1901)

Rebuilding Royal Hotel, Vernon St, Bolton (1902)

Two houses and shop, Martha Street, Bolton (1903)

Three houses, Tudor Ave, Bolton (1905)

Parochial hall, Astley Bridge, Bolton (1912)













Left: Cornerstone at St Mark’s vicarage

The last line is “Marshall Robinson Architect”.

Thanks to St Marks School and church web site

Sources

Directory of British Architects 1834-1914

Bolton building registers (Bolton Archives)

Bolton Journal and Guardian (December reviews)

Thanks to Margaret Plant for some of the biographical information and the picture of Robinson.

St Marks School and church (inaccessible 2019)

Bolton building registers, Bolton archives


Link

1point Bolton

Manchester Victorian Architects

Left: Bolton Evening News, October 6, 1883