Higson was the chief assistant to Frank R. Freeman from 1917 to 1934 and took over the practice after Freeman’s death. He lived at 46 Church Road, Smithills, Bolton. Frank Freeman had married Annie Higson in 1923; it is not known if she and Herbert Higson were related. Higson died in Frodsham, Cheshire (where the Walkers, his mother's family came from). He was in the Royal Engineers in the first world war.
The only known work by him is an office at Cow Lane Bridge, in Frodsham Street, Chester in 1948. Bolton Archives has a drawing of a proposed children’s corner at St George's church which is signed by Higson in January 1938.