Dan Gibson started his career as an assistant to Freeman and was job architect for the improvements to Graythwaite Hall. This led to Gibson meeting Thomas Mawson, the landscape architect, with whom he formed a partnership from 1898 to 1900 and collaborated on extensive garden works.
It is not known when Gibson worked with Freeman, but it was probably between 1889 and 1892. He began work for George and Peto in 1892. Apart from Graythwaite there are no known works from this period.
At the church of St Margaret Holy Rood, Prestwich, Manchester Gibson designed the reredos, panelling, choir stalls and other items in Arts and Crafts style, made by Arthur W. Simpson of Kendal (stalls of 1897-9, the rest over a period to 1920).