The original school was designed by Cunliffe and Freeman 1869-70. The school was extended by Jonathan Simpson, the Bolton architect, in 1885 as shown below. Frank Freeman was then responsible for the 1911 extension which replaced the original 1869-70 school.
Left: the plan of Jonathan Simpson’s 1885 extension
Left: A recent photograph showing the Jonathan Simpson extension of 1885 on the right and the 1911 extension by Freeman on the left.