The foundation stone was laid on 9th July 1904 at a service presided over by the Bishop of Liverpool. At this time it was called the Johnson Memorial Church, being given to the people of Bickershaw as a gift of the Johnson family in memory of the late Elizabeth and James Henry Johnson.
Frank Freeman also drew the plans for the stained glass windows in 1915, designed by Barrowclough of Preston. Note that the original drawings of April 1904 have Frank Freeman’s name whereas the artist’s impression has “R Knill Freeman & Son” so the relative involvement of father and son is not clear. The church is noted in Freeman’s obituary in The Builder.
Pevsner describes it as: “Brown stone with red stone dressings. Nave and chancel, the bellcote on the E gable of the nave.”