The first revised edition of the Buildings of England for Lancashire: Manchester and the South-East, published in 2004, contained a number of errors and omissions with reference to Knill Freeman. This list is not intended as a criticism of the book since in a work of such scope there will inevitably be errors (just as there probably are on these web pages) but simply to correct the record.
The corrections include:
The date of Freeman’s birth is listed as 1838/9 (page 134). He was born in 1840.
It is stated that Knill Freeman “trained in Austin and Paley’s office” (page 166). This is incorrect and has been removed from the 2011 edition. (See Connections with Paley and Austin)
St John’s school, Farnworth is given a date of “c.1880”. There is a datestone on the building of 1902-3. This is corrected in the 2011 edition. The description of the church refers to “Freeman and Cunliffe” (as does the index); the firm was always known as Cunliffe and Freeman.
The entry for the Wesleyan school, Broad Street, Salford states: “perhaps by W R Sharpe who did the demolished Wesleyan school here” (page 640). Freeman designed both the school and the church.